Think seaweed salad is just for the sushi bar? Think again. Seaweed is a nutritious and interesting change of pace for vegan diets. Next time you’re looking for a healthy side to serve with sautéed shrimp or grilled salmon, give the kale a rest and look to the East for your inspiration.
- 1 C dried shredded wakame seaweed (1 cup)
- 3 Tbsp Spectrum Naturals® Organic Brown Rice Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Spectrum Naturals® Organic Sesame Oil, Toasted
- 1 tsp freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tsp Hain® Organic Turbinado Sugar
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 organic celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 small organic Granny Smith apple, cored and finely diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large bowl, cover seaweed with cold water by 3 inches. Let stand until just softened, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, horseradish, sugar, ginger and garlic until sugar is dissolved.
- Combine seaweed, celery and apple. Cover with dressing and toss to coat. Serve garnished with scallions and sesame seeds.
Look for dried wakame in Asian specialty stores. Store the unused portion in an airtight container for up to 18 months.