If getting your kids to eat their vegetables is a daily struggle, remember these rules of thumb (no pun intended):
1. Kids love to eat with their hands
2. Kids love to get involved and personalize their stuff
3. Kids love ooey gooey cheese (let's be honest, so do grown-ups)
This easy, picnic-friendly quesadilla recipe is one that parents and little ones can definitely agree on. Change it up countless ways with your favorite veggies, cheese and salsa.
- 12 taco-sized whole wheat tortillas
- 1 can Westbrae® Organic Black Beans, drained, and slightly mashed with a fork
- 1 C broccoli florets
- 1/2 C red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 C cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 C Walnut Acres® Organic Midnight Sun Salsa
- 1/2 C Corn, cooked and cut from the cob
- Preheat oven to 350. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Blanch broccoli and shock in ice water. Chop into small bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble quesadillas (this is a great time for little ones to help). Onto half of the tortillas, spread an even layer of beans, broccoli, peppers, corn then cheese. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until melted, about 10 minutes.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut into easy finger food sizes. Serve with a side of Walnut Acres® salsa or guacamole for dunking.
Make these even more fun and use cookie cutters to cut them into all sorts of fun shapes.