If you like the aromatics and flavor of Thai food but are intimidated by attempting their sometimes more complex recipes consider this soup the perfect starting point. The spices all impart a refreshing zing to the simple chicken soup base, making it a nice alternative to your usual go-to chicken noodle soup recipe.
- 4 C Imagine® Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves, whole
- 4" ” lemongrass stem, dry, tough outer layers discarded, and core minced
- 3" fresh ginger, grated
- 1 C fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 C shaved carrots
- 3 green onions, shredded lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 small fresh red Thai chilie, slivered
- 2 C cooked chicken (1/2 white meat, 1/2 dark meat), diced
- 1 C shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and sliced
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a medium sized pot with a lid.
- Add all the ingredients except the carrots and cilantro leaves.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and cilantro and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove kaffir lime leaves.
- Serve while hot with lime slices for garnish.
Some of these ingredients may not be available at your local grocery store but you should be able to find them at an Asian market.