If you’re going to make any dish part of your go-to recipe collection it should be this one. It is super easy and quick to throw together and can be served as a dip for a hungry crowd or a part of a fun family dinner. When I was a kid my mom would put her version of this dish, prepared in a 9x13” baking dish, in the middle of the table and we would all dive in.
- 2 Tbsp Spectrum Naturals® Organic Coconut Oil, refined
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 (16 oz) can Bearitos® Low-Fat Refried Beans
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Hain® Sea Salt
- 1 (16 oz) bag of Garden of Eatin’® Red Hot Blues™ Corn Tortilla Chips – 18 chips separated out
- 2 C prepared guacamole
- 2 C prepared pico de gallo
- 1 1/4 C The Greek Gods® Greek Style Yogurt, Plain
- 1 1/2 C organic cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 C iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 bunch organic scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- In a medium pan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add refried beans, green chilies, chili powder, cumin and salt. Continue to cook, stirring gently, until mixture is heated through.
- While the beans are cooking, transfer 18 tortilla chips to a zip-top bag and crush coarsely.
- Using a rubber spatula, evenly spread refried bean mixture on the bottom of a glass serving dish. Top with an even layer of crushed tortilla chips. Next, spread an even layer of guacamole, then pico de gallo, then yogurt, then cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine lettuce, scallion and cilantro; toss gently. Spread mixture evenly over top of dip. Serve with your favorite variety of Garden of Eatin’® tortilla chips.
Want to shake up your next fiesta? Trifle bowls, pint glasses and other unusual shaped serving containers make great, unexpected serving dishes for this layered dish. Wide-mouthed mason jars with lids are great for packing the party to go.