Good ol’ mac n’ cheese – quite possibly America’s #1 comfort food. We’ve added some better-for-you touches while keeping all of the creamy, gooey goodness. Our secret weapon? Butternut squash. Loaded with nutrients and kid-friendly flavors, this is one dish that’s sure to be a family favorite.
- Spectrum® Butter It Up™ Natural Flavor Spray Oil
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 1” chunks
- 6 garlic cloves, divided
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 C Almond Dream® Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 C Imagine Foods® Natural Creations Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Using cooking spray, grease a 13x9” glass baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine butternut squash, smashed garlic cloves, thyme sprig, almond milk, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 25 minutes. Allow mixture to cool slightly; remove garlic and thyme sprig.
- Transfer to a food processor and puree until velvety smooth, about 6 minutes. Be careful to work slowly to prevent the hot puree from splashing.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain and rinse with cool water. Spread noodles into prepared pan and pour squash puree evenly on top. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes
- While the noodle mixture is baking, mince remaining two garlic cloves.
- In a large bowl, combine garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley, and salt.
- Remove pan from oven, discard of foil and top evenly with breadcrumb mixture and grated Gruyere. Transfer to a broiler set to High and broil until topping is golden brown and bubbly, approximately 1.5-2 minutes. Watch closely so it doesn’t burn.
Save your butternut squash seeds for a tasty snack. Clean and dry seeds, spread on a baking sheet, and drizzle lightly with Spectrum Naturals® Canola & Olive Oil Blend. Roast at 275˚F until golden and crispy, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle warm seeds with Hain® Sea Salt and enjoy!