Homemade baked goods are one of life's great pleasures and they're made even better when they're shared. Whether you're the one baking or the one receiving there is something extra satisfying about a cookie or muffin when it has been given as a token of appreciation, thanks or simply, "thinking of you." The folks from Arrowhead Mills® brand are championing the spirit of baking for others with their Bake It Forward campaign. They have already partnered with Food52 to encourage people to share their baked goodies and now we're asking you to whip up a batch of your favorite baked good and Bake It Forward. Share your photos with us on Instagram (@livecurrantly) and use #bakeitforward to encourage others to do the same.
I'll be making a batch of these Berries & Biscuits to share with good friends who have just moved in to their new home. They have a rather picky eater who is in a white food only phase – it's apparently a very common thing – so I thought this would be a good option they can all enjoy.
- 2 C Arrowhead Mills® Organic Enriched Unbleached White Flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Hain® Sea Salt
- 1 C Almond Dream® Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg white, slightly whisked
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, very cold
- 4 C assorted berries
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Hain Pure Foods® Organic Sugar
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- Preheat over to 450˚F
- In a medium bow, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using the large hole side of a cheese grater shred the butter into the flour then continue to cut it in until the mixture is the consistency of wet sand.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond milk and lemon juice.
- Add the almondmilk mixture to the dough and stir until the dough just starts to come together.
- Turn the dough on to a floured surface, shape into a ball and knead gently 10 times.
- Roll dough out 1/2" think and cut out rounds with a 2" biscuit cutter. Brush the tops of biscuits with the egg white and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, 14 to 16 minutes.
- For the berries, combine the berries, sugar and orange juice and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but up to over night.
- To serve, cut the biscuits in half and spoon a generous serving of berries over the bottom. Top with a bit of whipped cream.