Whole grains like quinoa are a great gluten-free and vegan-friendly choice for bulking up summer salads. Packed with protein and filling fiber, this zippy salad gets layers of flavor from veggies and a trio of fresh herbs. Substantial enough for a meal by itself, with no need to refrigerate, this salad is picnic-ready.
- 1 C Arrowhead Mills® Gluten-Free Quinoa
- 4 C Imagine® Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp Hain® Sea Salt
- 2 cans Westbrae Natural® Organic Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 medium Cubanelle peppers, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 C fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 C fresh parsley leaves, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 C fresh tarragon leaves, chopped, plus more for
- 1/4 C Spectrum Naturals® Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped and soaked in lime juice
- In a large deep skillet over medium heat, toast millet grains for 10 minutes. Add broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook, covered, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes. Remove millet mixture from pan and allow to cool to room temperature before transferring to a serving bowl.
- Add tomatoes, peppers, onion, herbs, oil, lemon juice, black pepper and remaining salt. Stir to thorough combine. Cover salad with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Top salad with avocado slices and serve garnished with basil, parsley and tarragon.
Toasting whole grains like quinoa in a dry skillet before cooking brings out their nutty flavor.